Friday 22 August 2008

The Omnivore's Hundred

I've decided that I won't do a Salmagundi every week. Yes, I know I haven't anyway, but it was my original intention. But I do have a bit of internet fluff for you. The Omnivore's Hundred is going round the foodie bits of the net. I found it via Chocolate and Zucchini. The idea is that you:
1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment at www.verygoodtaste.co.uk linking to your results.

So I'm giving it a go, though adding some commentary as I go. So if you want to do it, too, it will be easier to copy the list from the original link, not mine. For the full list read on.

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea - huh?
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp - hardly worth it.
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich - I prefer PB&H.
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart - in New York!
16. Epoisses - an unpasteurised milk washed-rind cheese, I don't think we can get it here.
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras - one day...
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper - tasted, but I couldn't eat a whole one.
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda - I really should. Sounds yummy.
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl - not quite. New England clam chowder, with sourdough bread on the side, sure.
33. Salted lassi - I prefer sweet, though.
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar separately. Isn't this supposed to be a crime against cognac? Prime single malt whisky, yes.
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O - I think I'm too old.
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects - umm, I almost crossed this off but I might summon up the courage to try it once.
43. Phaal - hotter than a vindaloo? Where do you get it? It's not in any of my curry cookbooks so I suspect it's a British braggart invention.
44. Goat’s milk - yoghurt, yes. Plain milk, no. I don't even like cow's milk.
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu - eh, maybe one day, It's expensive and I'd probably prefer tuna sashimi.
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - YUK!
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal - I don't do maccas. I ate a burger from them once a couple of decades back, I can't remember which one.
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini - not yet! But I bet I will very soon. Regular martinis, yes.
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine - I must go to Canada again one day.
60. Carob chips - meh.
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin - clay????!
64. Currywurst - I missed doing this when I was in Germany because I prefer other sausages, especially Weisswurst.
65. Durian - never again.
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain - I hate bananas, so I doubt I'd like it.
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette - I don't like the texture of tripe, so maybe not.
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini - not real expensive caviar though.
73. Louche absinthe - I've had absinthe in mixed drinks but haven't yet tried this classic method.
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill Why????
76. Baijiu - not 100% sure if this is the same as the rice spirit I drank too much of in Vietnam...
77. Hostess Fruit Pie - I lived in America once.
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant - there isn't one in Australia. But I bet Tetsuya's would be worthy.
85. Kobe beef - Australian Wagyu, too.
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers - nasturtiums are spicy, good in salads. Crystallised violets are nice.
89. Horse
90. Criollo chocolate - not sure. Possibly.
91. Spam
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee - New Guinea Blue Mountains yes, it's the same variety but different terroire.
100. Snake - does it count if it's infused in rice spirit? Weird meaty vodka-like stuff, that was.


So that's it then. I make about 75%. There's nothing specifically Australian on the list, though it does Europe, the Americas, and a few bits of Asia. I'm thinking of making up an Australian one. Maybe next week?

No comments: