Sunday 20 January 2008

Bran Muffins, Part Two

I really want a good bran muffin recipe. I tried again this morning, and it worked much better than last time, but it's still not ideal. In my pre-coffee vaguery I didn't follow the recipe perfectly, so that may be the problem. I think I'll keep this one and tinker with it. I should try the regulation amount of sugar rather than accidentally doubling it, for instance. Oops.

This recipe comes from a bulletin board that I frequent. It's the second of the two in Sinister's post. Here's my Australianisation of it.

Recipe: Treacle Bran Muffins

1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup plain wholemeal flour
2 cups oat bran
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
1/2 cup raisins*
1 cup milk
1/2 cup orange juice
1/3 cup sunflower oil
1 scant tablespoon treacle
1 whole egg + 1 egg white

1. Combine all dry ingredients.
2. Combine all wet ingredients.
3. Combine dry mixture with wet mixture and fold together until uniformly combined.
4. Do not overmix.
5. Portion into lined (or sprayed) baking cups and cook at 175ÂșC until golden and set.

These muffins are light and fluffy and tasty as all get-out; not the dense, chewy, bricks that many other bran muffin recipes produce. Yields twelve standard-sized muffins, and recipe doubles and quadruples well. *Omit raisins, or substitute with mashed or sliced bananas, chopped apple, blueberries, or other fruit of choice.

My Notes:
Treacle is used instead of molasses; the original poster told me not to use blackstrap molasses, and from wiki research, treacle seems to be the right thing. I'm not sure about the flour/rising agent mix. I might just try SR flour next time. This mix is very liquid compared to most muffins I've made, and it doesn't rise very high. Also, I may have needed to give them another five minutes in the oven. They came out a bit too soft, and broke up easily.

No comments: